DISCUSSION BOARD IS DUE ON TUESDAY AND YOU ONLY HAVE TO PICK ONE TOPIC………………………….
This week’s Discussion also is designed to build your skill in locating and responding to the main idea of a reading selection. Remember, the main idea is the melody around which everything else revolves.
Respond to any one of the following three main topics by Day 2. The required reading should be completed prior to this Discussion post and should be referenced, using APA formatting, in the Discussion post. To begin your post, restate the main idea of what you have read. Be sure to provide attribution for any outside sources used, using APA formatting.
- Topic 1 (American Education): There are many issues facing America’s educational system, from lack of effective support for children who need help with literacy skills in the early grades, to high dropout rates in high school and lack of preparation, to transition from high school to college. Consider any one of the articles on American education. Write a 250-word persuasive paragraph agreeing or disagreeing with the article.
- Topic 2 (Mental Health): Society often tends to attach a stigma to mental illness. Sometimes families try to hide such issues, or people don’t feel they can come forward about mental illness in the workplace for fear of losing their jobs or being treated differently. Consider any one of the articles on mental health. Write a 250-word persuasive paragraph agreeing or disagreeing with the article.
- Topic 3 (Multiple Consciousness): You have heard the cliché: “There are two sides to the same coin.” It means that almost anything can be seen in more than one way depending on how each person views it. How do you view yourself—spouse, partner, parent, student, female, male, transgendered, African-American, Hispanic … the list goes on and on. Most of us view ourselves in many roles at the same time. This is called multiple consciousness. Consider any one of the articles on multiple consciousness. Write a 250-word persuasive paragraph about one of the challenges related to the multiple roles each person is required to fill,
AISSIGNMENT DUE ON SATURDAY……………………………………………………………..
Writing a Melody of Your Own—Part 1
Main ideas and thesis sentences are really two sides of the same coin. Writers create thesis sentences. Readers pick out the main idea from what they read, which is usually the thesis sentence of the writer.
By Day 7,
- Locate one additional article related to one of this week’s case study topics, other than the one you used in your Discussion
- Determine the main idea of the article
- Complete the Source Quality Rating Document found in the Week 1 resources.
- Craft a thesis sentence and topic outline that could be written in response to the article
- Be sure to provide attribution, using APA formatting, for any sources used
- Create one document that includes:
- The outline you created
- Your completed Source Quality Rating document
Note: To create one document, copy and paste all of the content of one of the documents into the other. Save this as a single file and submit it by Day 7.
When you submit your Assignment for grading, be sure to post the APA citation including the link to your chosen article in Doc Sharing. Also include the sentence you created stating the main idea or thesis of the story.
- Chicago Tribune. (n.d.-c). In the news: Social media. Retrieved February 9, 2015, from http://articles.chicagotribune.com/keyword/social-media
Choose one article from the suite of readings supporting “Case Study 2: Social Media and Privacy.”
- ScienceDaily. (2015). Ethics news. Retrieved February 9, 2015, from http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/science_society/ethics/
Choose one article from the suite of readings supporting “Case Study 1: Ethics.”
- Document: Case Study Overview (PDF)
Read “Case Study 1: Ethics” and “Case Study 2: Social Media and Privacy.”
- Document: Providing Feedback (PDF)
- Document: Source Quality Rating Document Exemplar (Word Document)
- Document: Source Quality Rating Document (Word Document)