This project which will require working with another student. The project is a design project using Multisim with the requirements given below. The project is due on the last day of the term.
Total Points: 100
Project name: Audio Amplifier (Multistage)
Audio Amplifier Power Output selection: 3.2 W, 5.6 W, 7.1 W, 8.4 W, 11.5 W, and 16.3 W
Audio Amplifier Input Voltage (peak) selection: 150mVpeak, 200mVpeak, 250mVpeak
Audio Frequency: 20 Hz – 20 KHz
Deliverable: Multisim design (soft copy), test results, short report, and teamwork evaluation
Design, simulate, and test an Audio Amplifier which delivers one of the above power outputs to an 8Ω speaker load. The output power of your design and the input signal of your design must be selected from the above list. The audio frequency range is between 20 Hz to 20 KHz, so the operating frequency of your design will be within this range. The measuring equipment should display the output power and the input signal of your design. You are required to use either or both NPN and PNP transistors, but not an op-amp. It is recommended that you use multistage amplification of any class amplifiers of your choice. You should try to minimize your usage of components and be cost effective.
In general, you will have one other classmate in your team. Each of you will design and simulate an audio amplifier with different specifications, each making your choice from the above parameters. Thus, it is highly suggested that you communicate with your partner as early as possible to plan and coordinate your activities, select the input voltage and output power for your design, and establish a schedule. For the testing phase, you will develop a test plan and characterize and validate your teammate’s amplifier.
During the project period, you are encouraged to communicate, exchange ideas, and help each other complete your project. A team area will be set up for you in Blackboard, and you are required to use this area as part of your grade will be based on effectively using this tool.
Project Deliverable: Report and the multisim design for your project
Each student will submit an individual report. The report should, as a minimum, include the following:
- Title Page (Name, Partners name, like the table they have in the document)
- Description of your project (including the specifications you selected)
- Design methodology (show calculations and provide rationale for design choices; remember that your choices must take into consideration commonly available parts)
- Final schematic in Multisim
- Components/Parts list with cost and total project cost
- Simulation results for your design
- Testing process and results for characterization and validation of your teammate’s design – screenshots alone will not suffice. Description of process is required along with discussion of results.
- Project Challenges: Note any difficulties you faced during the completion of your design and how you overcame them
- Team Interaction Reflection: Describe how you used Blackboard to facilitate interaction, how you worked with one another in the design phase, challenges you encountered, methods you employed to overcome any challenges.
- Teammate Assessment: Use the Project Participation Rubric below and give your teammate a ranking of Needs Improvement, Competent, or Excellent for the first two items in the rubric: Interacts professionally and Plans and organizes team effort. Be sure to justify your ranking.